Okay now that yesterday’s freakout happened, I think I am more prepared to tackle the meal plan for Sunday’s Thanksgiving Dinner. Is Thanksgiving kind of synonymous with Slapsgiving now for anyone else? Any HIMYM fans in the house?
Anyway, now on to our tentative menu for Sunday:
– This pumpkin pie dip as an appetizer. Any suggestions on what to use to dip? I like the idea of graham crackers or apples.
– Turkey (obvs)
– Brussels sprouts – I usually roast them but since the turkey my mom bought is so ginormous, I want to do them on the stove top. This Rachel Ray recipe looks delicious! And you can never go wrong with bacon 😉
– Gravy – I am going to make a stab at doing my mom’s version of homemade gravy using the turkey drippings and cornstarch so wish me luck!
– Stuffing – Apparently after googling “how to cook a turkey” Brian got all freaked out about the idea of stuffing bread in a turkey carcass because there are tons of safety concerns? My reasoning is that people have been making stuffing that way for how long and I have never heard of anyone getting sick, but he won’t listen to me. Oh well though my step-mom said crockpot stuffing is actually really easy so I think I am going to give it a try! It is a double bonus too because it frees up a burner on the stove 🙂 I really like this recipe, but will have to see what kind of bread we are going to use.
– My mom ALWAYS made baked turnip/sweet potato/yam (depending what she had on hand) and then baked marshmallows on top for Thanksgiving. It is kind of a tradition in our family now so it isn’t Thanksgiving without it. Guess it is my turn to make it! How hard can it be right? Right?!
– Cranberry sauce – I am not even going to lie, this is coming from a can 😛
– Pumpkin Pie – I am debating making the traditional or going with a cool pumpkin pie cheesecake. Thoughts?
– My mom is bring the potato salad that she made for our rehearsal dinner as well as a lemon meringue pie
Ok that looks like a full menu filled with a lot of stuff I have never made before but I think I can pull it off. Any vets have words of advice for me before I enter the trenches this Sunday?
For all my fellow Canadians, I hope you have a great Thanksgiving weekend! And for all my American friends….well have a great weekend 🙂